The overarching goal of Lumiblast is to deliver the proof-of-concept for the intracellular action, in cell cultures as well as in preclinical studies and evaluate the potential for its future translation into the clinic. The specific project objectives are:
- Design and synthesis of the mitochondria-targeting luminols with various mitochondria targeting groups and spacers of varying lengths.
- Photochemical studies on the mitochondrial luminols with regard to their stability, and luminescence in the presence of various ROS and PpIX with regard to its activation by modified luminols and singlet oxygen production.
- In vitro validation and optimization of Lumiblast in GBM cancer cell lines, and selection of the best performing modified luminols for in vivo studies.
- In vivo evaluation of Lumiblast in the appropriate subcutaneous xenograft GBM cancer models and further validation of the Lumiblast efficacy in syngeneic GBM orthotopic mouse models.
- Assessment of Lumiblast potential for translation into the clinic, based on the project results and design of a tentative business plan.